Join us on the last Tuesday of each month at 7pm for our free Quiz Night
Prizes for the winning team, the runners-up, Best Team Name and Best Wrong Answer!
Next Quiz July 25th 2017Quiz Winners: Next Week We Celebrate America’s Last Birthday with 44 points Best Team Name Competition Winners: The Lesvegans
Quiz from June 27th, 2017
Each answer is worth 1 point with the exception of the Money Ball Question, which is worth 3 if correct, minus 1 if incorrect and the picture round, where each question has two parts with a point for each part correctly answered, three points if you get both parts right. Answering all questions correctly is worth 50 points.
The Great American Songbook on the Big Screen
- In the 1974 movie Blazing Saddles, when Bart, played by Cleavon Little, is asked to sing a Negro work song, instead of singing a song like Stephen Foster’s Camptown Races, he sings what song by Cole Porter?
- In the 1988 movie Big, what song by Hoagie Carmichael do Tom Hanks and Robert Loggia play with their feet on a giant piano at the FAO Schwarz toy store in New York City?
- In the 1971 movie A Clockwork Orange, Alex, played by Malcolm McDowell, sings what song by Nacio Herb Brown and Arthur Freed, while he and his gang brutally attack a couple following a home invasion?
- What is the full title of a song by Yip Harberg, Billy Rose and Harold Arlen, which gave a 1973 movie it’s title, a movie that earned then ten year old Tatum O’Neal a Best Supporting Actress Oscar, making her the youngest person ever to win a competitive Oscar?
Money Ball Question: In the 1985, Woody Allen directed movie, The Purple Rose Of Cairo, sitting in a movie theater and watching Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers dancing to what classic song by Irving Berlin in the 1935 movie Top Hat, brings Mia Farrow’s character out of her deep sense of despair?
Picture Round – First Ladies of the 20th Century
- What is the name of this First Lady, who was her husband’s second wife? Her husband was the first man to be elected President in the 20th Century. Who was he?
- What is the name of this First Lady? Like her husband, she was born in Independence, Missouri, and they attended the same school as children. Who was he?
- What is the name that this First Lady is best known by? What was her real first name?
- What is the name of this First Lady? What is the name of the institution she famously founded?
- What is the name of this First Lady? After his stint in the Navy, what kind of business did she and her husband run?
Naturalized American Citizens
- What seven foot tall member of the NBA Hall of Fame, who attended Georgetown University from 1981 to 1985, becoming an American Citizen while there, was born in Kingston, Jamaica?
- What Canadian born journalist, who was a long-time anchor of World News Tonight, chose to become an American citizen due to the 9/11 terror attacks, which he did in 2003?
- What Czech born diplomat, who became an American citizen in 1957, was the first female Secretary of State?
- What South African born model turned actress, who won a Best Actress Oscar in 2003, became an American Citizen in 2007?
Money Ball Question: What ballet dancer, who was born in the Latvian capital of Riga, which was part of the Soviet Union at the time of his birth, defected to Canada in 1974, and became an American Citizen in 1986?
- Mount Whitney is the tallest mountain in the contiguous United States. In what Californian mountain range is it located?
- What river, following the construction of the Hoover Dam, formed Lake Mead?
- How many US states border the Gulf of Mexico?
- What Indiana site, listed as a National Natural Landmark in 1984, was first discovered by two children, Orrin Hiestand and his sister Blanche, in 1883?
Money Ball Question: What is the missing word in the title of the following National Park, which is the most northerly in the United States: Gate Of The _____ National Park And Reserve?
American Place Names TV
- What television show, from the 1970s that starred Karl Malden and Michael Douglas, featured a deep voiced narrator who read the opening credits including letting us know that is was “a Quinn Martin production”?
- What was the third television series created by Seth MacFarlane?
- In what Comedy Central television show that ran from 2003 to 2009 did Thomas Lennon play short shorts wearing Lt. Jim Dangle?
- The title of what television show that ran from 1986 to 1994, was shown in the opening credits written on a license plate attached to a slamming car trunk?
Money Ball Question: What television show that ran for eight seasons starting in 1993, was inspired by the 1983 action movie Lone Wolf McQuade, both of which starred the same actor?
Interpreters of the Great American Songbook
- On a classic 1958 album, Ella Fitzgerald performs songs from the opera Porgy And Bess with what legendary jazz trumpeter and vocalist?
- What Canadian born singer, who is known as a popular modern-day interpreter of songs from the Great American Songbook, won a Grammy for the 2007 album Call Me Irresponsible, the title track being a 1962 song by Sammy Kahn and Jimmy Van Heusen?
- What popular Spanish singer and songwriter, whose son is also a popular singer and songwriter, had a major hit in Europe in 1981 with his recording of the Cole Porter classic, Begin The Beguine?
- Captain Sensible, who along with Rat Scabies, formed the British punk band The Damned in the mid-1970s, had a surprise hit in Europe in 1981 with the song Happy Talk. From what well-known 1949 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical does the song Happy Talk originate?
Money Ball Question: What bandleader is noted for his orchestral arrangements of songs, more often than not from The Great American Songbook, sung by Frank Sinatra over the course of twenty-five albums?